James Samuel Bell
James’ litigation expertise spans multiple legal issues including family law matters such as divorce law, asset and financial arrangements, child custody disputes, alimony and child support, and other marital issues that typically arise with a divorce procedure. James understands that divorce is complex and represents a life event that clients want to finalize as quickly as possible and obtain the best result. James is experienced in giving his clients the best of both worlds through his aggressive trial strategies. He regularly provides the support and expertise his clients need throughout the divorce process.
James is known for settling some of the most complex divorce issues not only in record time but with substantial monetary value for his clients. He never lets his clients compromise on something or force them to choose one option over the other. His work methods allow his clients to receive both a quick and inexpensive divorce as well as a result that preserves his clients’ assets and financial arrangements and safeguards their future earnings from attachments or garnishments.
James has gained the prominence of a superior trial attorney by obtaining the largest verdict in the United States in 2017 and the ninth largest verdict in U.S. history—the verdict against JPMorgan Chase Bank for malice, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, gross negligence, and conversion was in excess of $6 billion. He has won countless verdicts and settlements for his business clients, injury victims, and families in multiple states across the nation and has saved his clients millions of dollars in recoveries and savings.
Some of the awards that James has received include recognitions as a Super Lawyer; Best Personal Injury Attorney; Best Family Law Attorney; National Litigator of the Week; Top Verdict 2015; Top Verdict 2017, as some examples.
James attended the Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas and graduated in 2001 with honors. He has received the Southern Methodist University Scholarship, James Holland Scholarship, W.R. Nicholson Scholarship, and the Southern Methodist University Student Senate Scholarship. James attained his law degree cum laude from Southern Methodist University in 2005.
James is admitted to practice law in the following courts:
- State of Texas; State of California
- State of New York
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Tax Court
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- S. District Court for the Central District of California
- S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
Below are selected examples of James’ trial experience and success record:
- Obtaining $50 million settlement for his client in case involving a confidential dispute.
- Serving as lead trial counsel, obtaining multiple summary judgments, and resolving dispute in favor of his client in $50 million dispute.
- Serving as lead defense counsel for billionaire in sexual assault civil case where Plaintiff demanded $10 million and obtaining a complete dismissal.
- Serving as lead counsel for surgeon against former partners for breach of fiduciary duty and obtaining a $1.1 million cash settlement.
- Serving as counsel in a federal firearms case and winning a motion to suppress in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas.
- Serving as counsel in ethanol plant construction case against Zurich and settling case for $1.5 million immediately after Voir Dire.
- Serving as lead counsel for contractor in a case involving a $2 million dispute, obtaining summary judgment on all claims against Plaintiff 1 and all claims (except one) against Plaintiff 2, and settling case very favorably for his client.
- Serving as lead counsel for a Florida casino owner in connection with alleged tip pool violations under the Fair Labor Standards Act and obtaining a complete dismissal for his client.
- Serving as lead trial counsel for a pharmacy and obtaining a $4.15 million fraud judgment against a publicly traded company for stealing insurance and federally funded prescription reimbursements.
- Serving as lead counsel representing investors and successfully enjoined the $11 million sale of a technology company and obtaining a multi-million-dollar settlement for his clients in just two weeks.
- Serving as lead counsel in a dispute concerning over 42 million gallons of fuel and obtaining a substantial settlement for his clients within five minutes before closing argument.
Are you facing a divorce?
Don’t delay. Learn about your rights.